Tuesday, January 20, 2009


Great idea to do some introductions! I'll go next...

I'm Angie, a.k.a.
Tall Girl Running for those who have humored me enough to venture into my blog from time to time. I'll turn 37 two days before the Wasatch Back Relay in June (what better way to celebrate, eh?). I'm definitely no spring chicken but hopefully I've still got a few good decades left in me. I've been married to the same husband for 17 1/2 years (if any of you have been married that long too, you'll know why I included the "1/2". Every month counts at this point!). I'm Mom to two beautifully talented daughters, which is cold, hart fact and not just biased opinion. My oldest is Savannah who just turned 15 last week and my youngest is Sophie, all of 8 years old. Both my girls are the light of my life and provide both my greatest joys as well as my greatest challenges, all on any one given day.

I've been running now for six years. As my blog moniker implies, I'm a tall gal... six feet even, to be exact. Although I had the height and natural athletic ability, I never played sports on a high school level. I particularly disliked basketball because it required way too much running (20 years and thousands of miles later, the irony of that is not lost on me). I started walking to lose the baby weight that was still literally hanging around two years after my second daughter was born. Walking turned to jogging. Jogging turned to running. Running turned to obsession.

To date, I've run three full marathons, six half-marathons and a smattering of shorter distance races. I'm not built to run and my long, lanky limbs just don't move efficiently enough to be a fast runner. But I'm a determined runner nonetheless and what initially started as a hobby has become in every sense a lifestyle for me. I define myself in only a limited number of ways and "runner" is one of them.

Besides running, I stay busy here in southeastern Idaho by working part-time as the billing clerk for a local chiropractor, volunteering for school, church and community activities, attempting to stimulate my creative juices by keeping up on my blog and just enjoying life and all that comes with it one day at a time.

I am VERY excited about being included in the WBR this year! It's been a race I've wanted to do for a long time but have never known enough fellow lunatics-- errrr, runners-- to do it with me. I'm an inheritently shy personality and will never be accused of vying to be the center of attention, but I very much look forward to meeting my teammates and creating together an experience that will be remembered for a lifetime!

See you all in June!

Angie

tallgirlrunning@gmail.com

8 comments:

Mel said...

Angie- I have been lurking on your blog for awhile now. I love reading about your running adventures. We are less than a year apart in age. Look forward to meeting you.

Roxanne said...

It is good to see another fellow Idahoan. I am also from southern Idaho and look forward to meeting you. Thanks for sharing!

Kristyn said...

Wow--I just have to say that you don't look 37. You look more like 27! I bet everyone thinks your 15 year old daughter is your sister! It was fun to read about you, and it will be even funner to meet you!

Jen said...

Angie, I was so excited to see your name on the list! Now we'll get to meet for sure! I love your writing style and your humor. You're very talented. Can't wait for June!

The Eberhardts said...

angie, i like your writing style. i can tell you will be full of good stories and lots of laughs during the run. nice to meet ya!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Angie,

I have also lurked on your blog. (Man, does everyone know I am a stalker by now?) I followed your training for the 2008 Ogden (I think?) and enjoyed reading your accounts. I too think you are a great, witty writer and think it will be a blast to hang out with you! Can't wait to meet you!

amydear said...

I'm sure your lanky limbs will do just fine! Sounds like you're an experienced runner. See you in June!

JP said...

Lanky limbs? I have freakishly long legs...I WISH I was speedier because of them. But alas, I am not even close to fast.

I'm loving all these introductions. (And yes, I'm reading and commenting backwards.) ;)