Friday, January 30, 2009




My name is Patti, and I never thought I would be a runner. I grow up playing sports, and excelling at tennis and soccer. My freshman year at BYU I made the women's tennis team, but I still didn't have any desire to run unless it was chasing the tennis ball. I have been married for 13 years and we have 3 boys. I taught school for about 6 years to 7th and 8th graders. I hope to one day go back, but right now I stay at home and it's great! With 3 boys the house is hopping. My oldest is 7 years old, then my 4 year old, and my 3 year old. My last two boys are the main reason I started running. They are only 11 months apart in age, I know...it's wild. I'm often asked if they are twins or what I was thinking. I was on bed rest and hospitalized with both of them, so I was really out of shape and a bit in the survival mode. And my father passed away from cancer.

So I decided I would start walking to get back in better shape. Walking took forever and I didn't like it, plus I was pushing a double stroller and the kids were not digging it at all. So one day my son says "faster mommy faster." And that was it, in fact he's still telling me faster. I was amazed at how fast my workout went by, walking took twice as long, I was sold. So for the last three years running has been like an obsession. Some people need their cup of Joe, I need my run, because it helps me be a better person and a much nicer mom. I haven't run as many races as I would like, my husband is a trail attorney which makes it tough to get the long runs in. But he's cleared his calender for June, and I'm so stoked to meet you guys and have an amazing time. I will continue to run during the week with my 3 year old, I have been running with him since he was a few months old, but he is getting heavier. And the long runs are heaven because I don't have to push the kids. My kids are so used to me running that the other day I asked my son if he wanted to run some errands with me, he said yes so I got in the car. He got really mad and said I thought we were "running" to the store.

I have run a few 10 mile races in town, which I love doing. I'm also planning on running the avenues of the giants half marathon in May, which should be some good training for ragnar. I'm so excited to meet you all, and can't wait to have fun.

6 comments:

Polliwog said...

Patti, Great to meet you! It sounds like we have some things in common-particularly the teaching for 6 years 7th and 8th grade. What subject?

Thanks for sharing. I admire you running with the kids. I did it with my first, but now I go alone in the morning. I'm glad your kids love it so much.

See you in June!

Tall Girl Running said...

Great to meet you, Patti! What a diehard you are, running with the kids in tow. Now THAT'S impressive!

See you in June!

amydear said...

Hi Patti! I can't tell where you live from your post. I love that your kids want you to run them places. You're probably pretty fast when they're not in front of you in the stroller. Good luck on your marathon in May. I'm doing one too!

The Eberhardts said...

Patti, this will be so much fun! We'll make ol' Sans and Kendra proud. Thanks for being crazy enough to do it. And I look forward to learning more about my cousin-in-law!!!!

Jen said...

I think you're so amazing for running with kids in tow. I've done it a little and it makes such a difference NOT doing it! You'll be so well trained! Can't wait to meet you!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Patti! Welcome to the group. I look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you better. I, too, am amazed by those who run with strollers. I must be a wimp. :-) I also had my father pass away from cancer and running has been my escape and my therapy. I would love to talk with you more.