Monday, January 26, 2009

My Name Is...

Melanie G.

Can I just start off by saying I am so stinkin' excited for Wasatch Back! I am mom to 3 boys ages 11, 9, and almost 5! My running days started exactly 20 years ago during High School. Aaagh, I'm old! I ran track for 4 years. I was totally NOT a long distance runner. I mainly ran the 400 meter and I was FAST . Ha ha. Not anymore.

Twenty years and many pounds later I decided I better start doing something about my fitness. Actually, I have ran a few scattered 5K's throughout the last 8 years. Last summer the true running bug hit me. After I finished my first 5 mile race I was stoked. The next Saturday I stepped it up for the long run and trained to run my first (and only) Half Marathon a month later. I ran the Half and loved every minute of it!

My boys bring me great joy and an equal amount of stress. Don't they all! My youngest has spastic quadriplegia (Cerebral Palsy), seizures and a Severe hearing loss. He uses a walker to ambulate and ASL to communicate. His days are filled with therapy. I find running to be my own "therapy". It clears my mind, makes me stronger physically (which is needed when packing 35 lbs around all day), and most importantly gives me a sense of accomplishment. Running longer distances teaches me so much about myself and I want to share it with my children.

My two oldest have both ran 5K's. This year I will be running the SLC Half with my 11 year old. I am really excited! We live in Perry, Utah. I can't wait to meet all of you:)

8 comments:

Polliwog said...

Great to meet you! I'm getting more excited by the day.

Jen said...

Mel, I think you're amazing! I really can't wait to meet you and hopefully it will be before June! Thanks for the invite to this awesome race. I'm so excited.

Tall Girl Running said...

Melanie,

I haven't met you yet, but I'm already so impressed and inspired by you! Can't wait to run with you. :-)

Angie

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Mel, it is great "meeting" you. I loved your intro and am very inspired by it. I was in Pleasant View for Christmas-too bad we didn't get to run together. Maybe next time! :-) Welcome to the team!

Kristyn said...

Hey Mel--you really are an inspiration to us all (here and on the 'tulips' blog). I can't wait to meet you and run with you!

amydear said...

Maybe you can do a fast 400 to win it all at the end? : ) I admire any parent of a differently-abled child. Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge. Have fun running your races! See you in June.

JP said...

I have to second Tall Girl...you are inspiring and I love learning about you. I can't wait to "officially" meet in June. Good luck with your training!

Sarai said...

Hi Mel! Nice to "meet" you. It seems like we are both in the same team. Best of luck on your half-marathon. I'll be running it too, also my first half. Happy running!