Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hi. I'm JP. And I'm a Wasatch Back Runner

It feels so odd to say this (after all these years of blogging) but I’m finding it really hard to come up with words (that make sense) to introduce myself and explain why I run!

I’m known around ‘these parts’ as JP, but I really do have a name (Jill). I have a husband. I have two daughters (ages 11 and 6). I have a blue stripe in my hair.



I’ve lived in Northern California (Sacramento area) all of my life. I am a weather wimp and reading about several of you running in snow makes me question your sanity. (Kidding!) Not to mention the fact that all of my training is done at about 25 feet above sea level (Hello, Wasatch Mountains!) so I guess that means I’m an altitude wimp also. (I do believe I’ve just found my “call-sign” for this relay. Exciting!) You also might notice that this is an introduction to my sarcasm as well. And, well…I am sorry for that. (I know. I should come with a warning.)

I am, relatively, new to running. I believed for many years that I hated running…that I was terrible at running. Then, a couple of years ago, I made it bigger than me. I trained for a cause very near and dear to my heart thinking that I would be one of the walkers. Partway through my training I tried a little running…just to see how I liked it. To push myself a little. Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles: I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon (my first event of any kind) was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I was blown away by a feeling that can’t really be put into words.


Running is not easy for me. I struggle. But I think its because of these struggles that I’ve learned more about myself than I ever though possible. Like many of you, running is my therapy – my form of meditation. I am a better person when I run. A better person with more confidence and discipline and a sense of accomplishment.

This year, I have quite the running agenda: A couple ½ marathons, Wasatch Relay…all leading up to my very first (full) marathon in October 2009! (I feel slightly faint every time I type that.) I am so excited and scared and, well, excited. But I love that I can be an example for my daughters. It is my hope that they will see that they are capable, strong and amazing. I want them to experience this feeling of empowerment that comes from accomplishing the big goals…and all the little goals that lead up to it.


I am counting down the days to Wasatch. I can’t wait to be stuck in a van with all of you amazing Marathon Mommies. It’s gonna be awesome.

8 comments:

Bart, Erin, Hunter, Jorden and a couple of crazy dogs said...

Yea Jill.... you have joined the ranks of crazy - which marathon are you doing? I am SO SO glad you are hanging with us :)

Chelle said...

I adore you, Jill. I am thrilled to have this adventure with the one and only JP and her blue streaked hair.
many x's and o's to you...

Jen said...

Can't wait to meet you! I love your family picture and I loved your explanation of why you run. It's so good to be with people who "get it". See you in June!

Kelly(M&M) said...

I love that I stalked you long before I asked you to join Marathon Mommies. Once I realized you had entered the "dark side" and become a runner I knew you would such a great addition to our blog- and I was so right! I think you are amazing, and I am so glad I have been able to get to know you better. Thanks again for having us at your house. That run was great. I look forward to hanging out with you even longer! You are truly inspiring and hilarious!

Polliwog said...

Your comment on my intro made me laugh because I felt the same way! I had no idea you are Jill. In fact, I've been feeling disappointed thinking you weren't running this race when I didn't see your 'name' on the list.

Well, I'm relieved to know you ARE on the list, doubly relieved to know you're Jill and thrilled to meet you!!

The Eberhardts said...

welcome to the team! so excited to informally meet you and get to really meet you in june. i don't do hills (we have an ongoing love/hate relationship)... so we can cry/sweat/swear/laugh together!

amydear said...

I love your ever-changing hair! I love your name too. I have a daughter named Jillian, but we call her Jill a lot. Here's to ponytails by Wasatch Back time!

Tall Girl Running said...

I love your saucy attitude, Jill. I think we're gonna get along just great. ;-)

See ya in June!